Re: Course Announcements -Reply

>>I have always been opposed to advertizing via the internet, whether
>>for courses or other products.

>>Comments?

>>Paul Frame

Paul,

As one who has recently posted a message that could be considered an ad - I
must say I AGREE AND ..... it is a fine line!

Before posting my message about StatMost I gave considerable consideration:

On one hand I really would not like to be besieged by commercials here.  And
really didn't want to "open the flood gates" to such.

On the otherhand I found a tool that I have found very useful to Health
Physics work and economical as well.  I felt others might benefit from that
information as well.  So I wanted to let others know so that if they were
indeed looking for such a tool - they could use my information.  Thus it was
more an "informational ad"!!??

In the case of the computer program - we can't all afford to each try
everything out there 'til we find what suits us.  We must rely on input from
others.

As for training notices:

Knowledge of training resources is valuable - who knows maybe even one time
we would be able to afford to send someone <grin>.

This appeared to be an announcement of a new course - it seemed to me
appropriate.  I would say a reminder of an up coming regularly scheduled
course - ESPECIALLY if announced in the news letter - would be "over the
line".

A pity this forum is not more like a BBS --- on that format messages are
assigned catagories and one can choose to read a given catagory or not.

So to sum it up - I find myself with mixed feelings and feel that I could
judge for myself what I would think was too far and what was useful and
informational.  However, I can't express that in terms of guidelines nor can
I guage it for others.

I do feel however that the expression of these concerns here is appropriate
and useful and should cause users to give careful consideration to such
things and thus keep it in moderation - which I think would be ok.

If things do get out of hand then I am sure Hector will exercise his
legitimate responsibility and authority and simply proscribe all ads.  This
I think would be unfortunate.

Comments??

Solutions??