Re: Radon training videos

Michael,

>                       RE>Radon training videos                     2/3/95
>
> Hi,
> There is a video from Atlas video called "RADON A HOMEOWNER'S GUIDE".
> This video was produced by NUS Training Corp.  "ISBN 0-945716-10-9"
> In 25 minutes you get a overview of where radon comes from, major health
> concerns , and how to test for is and some ways to fix the problems in the
> home.
>                                                             Michael Fredericks
>
>                                                              Princeton

Is this based on the EPA Radon Program nonsense about "radon effects"? Does
anybody outside the political establishment and funding interests take this
stuff seriously?

Review the Cohen article in Feb 95 HPJ (and his previous articles) to have a
better perspective of actual data.

Also, as Noble Laureate Rosalyn Yalow has written, no uranium miner at
exposures less than 1000 times a 70 year lifetime dose has been identified to
have a "radon associated" lung cancer. But then she points out that it is
found that the uranium miner cancer type is different than cancer types in
non-smoking populations so that lung cancer potentially from radon can not be
associated with lung cancers to uranium miners. Only uranium miners during the
period of no adequate ventilation (many small, damp "one-man" type mines) have
associated lung cancers. (Let me know if you want refs to her papers! or I can
email a summary.)

(Also, data is known but not followed on other hard rock miners that shows
similar consequences without equivalent radon levels; and, informal genetic
evidence is being confirmed and formalized, which may be reported this year,
that associates  uranium miner lung cancer genetic data with genetic damage
from spores in those damp, unventilated mines.)

Of course we could also look at places in the world that have 10s of thousands
and 100s of thousands of pCi/l with no adverse health effects; including
populations that go to, and live and work in radon spas! Water workers in
Germany work in some locations that have radon up to 780,000 pCi/l.

And EPA wants the US to spend $20 Billion, and will be seeking to require
more, to protect the public exposed to >4 pCi/l !??!

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide