Re: Next Shot

> Date:          Thu, 16 Feb 95 10:39:17 -0600
> From:          "GARY MANSFIELD" <GARY.MANSFIELD.HC#u#HS#u#DIV@quickmail.llnl.gov>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Next Shot

>                                         - Captain Plutonium!
>
>                                       Next Shot
>
> Reply to Shelley Rosenblum:
>
> Ah yes, the 20th century, where we spend BILLIONS of taxpayers dollars
> "remediating" risks that are comparable to eating a banana every 10 days
> (deadly potassium-40).  I personally can't think of any better way to spend
> public funds.
>
> After all, we have pretty much taken care of all the real public health
> issues, right?    We have PLENTY of money for innoculation of children against
> diseases,  cancer research, AIDs research, you name it.
>
> It is time that we stop wasting money on imaginary risks to imaginary people.
> In a world of LIMITED resources (this is the world I live in, I don't know
> about anyone else) it is morally reprehensible to squander resources on
> non-problems.
>
> Regulators who want to remediate all risks, REGARDLESS of any consideration of
> costs or the reality of those risks, need to ask themselves some hard
> questions.
>
> Naturally, the views expressed above are my own opinions, and probably do not
> reflect the opinions of anyone who has anything to do with my paycheck.

Gary,
    You're not alone.  I believe you've hit on something that may be
a hot topic at the annual HP Society meeting in Boston this year.

      THE COMMITTED EFFECTIVE BANANA EQUIVALENT DOSE>

                           OR

       FOR OUR FRIENDS AT THE NRC - THE CEBED

                           OR

       FOR OUR FRIENDS AT THE ICRP - THE CEBD

If you shout a lie loud enough and long enough, someone's bound to
believe you, but does that work for the truth?  Adolph Hitler, as
amended 1995.

Russ
cmeyer@brc1.tdh.texas.gov
(512)834-6688