Dragging Heels

Shirley Rosenblum said (in part):

>         Maybe that noise is the sound of the digging in of heels as we in
>         the environmental community try to drag you into the 20th century
>         where the public has some say in what kind of risks and
>         regulations are appropriate.

No disrespect intended, but perhaps the rumbling noise could be reduced
if we could somehow convince Joe Public to evaluate risks et cetera
with an open, reasoned mind.  Too often, I notice that the initial
reaction to a new technological proposal (it isn't limited to the
nuclear industry) is an emotional one, aided and abetted by the various
media agencies.

I know that some agencies, such as local chapters of the Health Physics
Society, have been trying to spread the word for nuclear literacy, but
I think we need to try harder.

                                Yours in pursuit of Rad Safety,

                                John Aperans

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     * JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                           *
     *     Nuclear Effects Directorate                 *
     *     US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002 *
     *     ATTN: Health Physics                        *
     * FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064      *
     * e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil            *
     The chicken HAD to come first.  An egg would have been
     fried and eaten.