RE: Next Shot

          This is Shelly Again,

               Morally Reprehensible?  Interesting concept.  We get so many
          calls from people who feel that it is morally reprehensible that
          the government sets regulations on agents like radiation without
          consulting with the people they are trying to protect.  This
          segment of the tax-paying public feels it is morally
          reprehensible that government scientists make the decision for
          them about what level of risk is acceptable and what additional
          costs should be spent per life saved.

               I share your concern about where money is spent and whether
          we are consistent about which risks we voluntarily accept and
          which we refuse to have imposed upon us.  However, the government
          is under attack for practices of the past, real or exaggerated,
          but never-the-less, a direct result of not involving the public
          in the regulatory process, relying instead on "we're your
          government and we're here to protect you".

               	    	      Shelly Rosenblum

          Opinions expressed here are my own.