Problems with ICN shipments (fwd)

Subject: Problems with ICN shipments

Hi to Hospital/University RSOs

Thought I'd pass on the details of a problem we've recently had with an
order from ICN (Costa Mesa,California) which points to what I think is a
quality control problem in their packaging/dispatching operations. The
Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre ( a university teaching hospital)
diagnostic DNA laboratory placed an order on January 31 for 2 different
P-32 compounds:

	250 uCi alpha-32Pd-CTP (Cat # 33004X) and
	250 uCi alpha-32Pd-ATP (Cat # 33002X)

On Feb 6, the laboratory received the shipment package.  Inside were two
white plastic cylindrical containers, each containing a second shielded
(lucite/lead) blue container, holding the radioisotope vial. Each of
these successive containers carried a label, listing the compound,
radionuclide and  activity, along with some other information.

The product (CTP) appeared to be correct, that is, the information on the
separate labels on the vial, blue shield and white plastic container all
was consistent, and matched what had been ordered.

The second product was labelled 250 uCi ATP on the outside of the white
plastic container, but labels on both the blue shield and the vial
indicated that the material in the vial was 500 uCi of CTP.

The lab contacted ICN, indicated the problem with the labelling, and the
fact that shipment contained 750 uCi of CTP and no ATP.   ICN promised to
send along 250 uCi of ATP. On Feb 10, when the lab unpacked the second
shipment, they found exactly the same problem -  vial and blue shield label
each declaring the contents to be 500 uCi CTP packed inside a white
plastic container labelled 250 uCi ATP.

The lab has by now received 1.25 mCi of CTP and no ATP.   Another phone
call was placed, a replacement shipment sent which arrived Feb. 13 - and
finally, all three labels indicate 250 uCi ATP.

The lab wipe tested every vial received during this saga, and no
contamination was detected - we've put all of our permit holders on alert
about ICN products because of flurry of recent reports from other
facilities about varying levels of loose contamination detected on wipes
taken from the exterior surface of unopened ICN radioisotope vials.

The lab has now received 1.5 mCi of P-32, three times the activity
originally ordered. Fortunately, they have not exceeded their internal
permit possession limit for P-32, or I'd have another head-ache.

Our lab people expressed concern to me about the attitude they encountered
with ICN customer service staff - no real apologies, they appeared to
consider this a trivial problem, and didn't seemed to be too concerned
about about the repeated problem of the wrong compound being sent with
mismatching labels.

The lab didn't think to call their radiation safety office - moi - until
this whole chain of events had transpired (I've dealt with that internal
slip-up separately). They are transferring the unwanted material to our
in-house RadWaste storage facility, where it will be held for 6 months to
decay to de minimis levels.

I called ICN Customer Service today, and was also not impressed by the
attitude (almost dismissive) of the two reps to whom I spoke.  I later
spoke to an ICN radiation safety officer who, at least, made the right
noises expressing concern.  He promised to follow up this matter and
respond.

I'll keep you posted on the results of his investigation and response
when I receive it.

P.S.  I just received a package of information about the upcoming biennial
meeting of the Campus Radiation Safety Officers which will be held June 28
- July 1 in Los Angelos. This is a super meeting I really look forward to,
because of the very useful discussions, papers, etc on operational topics
- good bunch of congenial folks, too.  Contact Armando Zea, director of the
Radiation Protection Department at the University of Southern California
which is hosting this year's conference. Armando is co-chair of the
1995 CRSO conference organizing committee and I'm sure will be happy to
send you more information - his e-mail address is azea@engr-serv.usc.edu

Cheerio!

Karin
Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office		phone (204) 787-2903
Health Sciences Centre		fax   (204) 787-1313
820 Sherbrook Ave,		e-mail KGordon@cc.umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3A 1R9