Re: Sewer Disposal & John Glenn Digressions

>1.  Since we aren't supposed to discuss politics here, I will

... cut to the chase.

>3.  This does not mean he would be unwilling to discuss the issues
>one-on-one with experts in the field in Ohio (you OSU guys reading?).

At least one of us is.  We've got some URSC members (supposedly) studying
the solubility notice (IN-94something) as we speak.  I'm no solubility
expert, but I'm willing if he's willing.

I don't have his E-mail.  I do have it for the other senator, though:
Michael DeWine:     senator_dewine@dewine.senate.gov

I'd like to talk to either of them, and the men of the house, who have the
power to amend (or repeal?) the Atomic Energy Act, about expanding the De
Minimis classifications for solid waste forms.  I appreciate those judgments
about scintillation cocktail and animal carcasses, which say "below 0.05
microCi/g of H-3 or C-14, and these wastes can be disposed of as
non-radioactive."  I believe a similar standard can be set for solid waste
(.. including sewage sludge?) bound for regular landfills (or incinerators),
and also for nuclides other than H-3 and C-14.

Naturally I'd like to see a solid risk/benefit evaluation done before
implementing anything like that.  It wouldn't surprise me, though, if that's
already been done.  We'd probably have to look no further than a back issue
of Health Physics.  Maybe?

Albert Lee Vest                   Radiation Safety
Health Physicist   Environmental Health and Safety
(614)292-0122            The Ohio State University
My employer did not review or approve this message.