Re: Banana-stasis -Reply

Continuing the Flambe de Banana,

Also written in ICRP 25 is a note that the bodies Na content will have some
effect on absorption.  This all relates back to the fact that we are using
models and not reality (I can live with that).  The uptake would be dependant on
the K and Na content in the body.  Does the K-40 (alone?) uptake assumed in the
FGR mean that natural K is excluded.  What would your CBEDE be if you refrained
from eating that banana and other high K fruits and vegies.  Would your dose be
the same or incrementally lower (BALARA for you regulators out there)

Perhaps you could set up a diff eq assuming a pulsed intake and try to figure
out how long the body will take to regulate the concentration of K back to its
steady state level.  That would be a reasonable assumption.

As usual, the problem can be made very difficult.

Rob Gunter
ornl