Re: Gamma and X-ray detectors

David (I hope I guessed your name correctly):

Sounds to me like you need to talk to manufacturers of detector crystals and
plastics.  End-users like me wouldn't have these information (I can't even find
it Glenn Knoll's book), and I imagine most people wouldn't be looking for them
unless they start to worry about neutron activation of detector impurities.  In
fact, since you are at LLNL and you probably got access to all kind of neat
toys, that might the quickest way for you to find out.  Sounds like fun!

Tosh Ushino
SONGS
ushinot@songs.sce.com

Here is something for all the experts to ponder over the weekend.

What is compositon of detectors, including the weight percents of trace
elements. Below is a list of detectors that we are considering for inclusion
in an upcommming ICRU standard.

Si, Ge, CdTe, HgI2' GaAs, and the inorganic scintillators BGO, NaI(Tl),
CsI(Tl), and CsI(Na)

It would be nice to be as accurate as possible and have the weight percents
of all elements add to as close to 1.0 asis reasonably possible, without
going over a value of 1.0. The importance lies in the use of the detector
and the manufacture of the detectors. For instance, if too much lead is
present in the NaI material used to grow the crystal, a discoloration of the
crystal occurswhic changes the light transmission properties of the crystal.
Lead is usally present at 0.0005% maximum.

So if any of you have some insights of references I can use I would be indebted.

If you want to respond directly, my e-mail is:

dhickman@llnl.gov

David P. Hickman, Ph.D.