Re[2]: Zinc-65 Intake???

                             March 20, 1995
         Ninni Jacob,

         Thanks for the thoughts.  We have a clear identification of Zn-65
         from both a NaI based whole body counter and from a whole body
         counter using GeLi detectors with a resolution of about 1.8 Kev for
         the cobalt-60 lines.  A QC check prior to the count shows the
         cobalt-60 lines are right where they belong on the GeLi
         system.  Both spectra are analysed using programs (one from
         Helgeson and one from Canberra).  The energy match is +- 2 Kev for
         the GeLi system.  The results are manually verified.  We didn't
         have any other lines in the GeLi spectrum other than K-40.

         Dick Warnock

Are you using a prgram to identify the peaks, or are you doing it manually?
If the calibration is a little bit off, the nuclear identification program may
make a wrong identification. The energy for Zn-65 is 1115.5 Kev.  There is
a background peak (Bi-214) at 1120 Kev. If the sensitivity of the
peak search program is 5 keV, it could make a wrong identification also.

Considering that the person has not worked with RAM, I am just guessing
that this could be a possibility.

Ninni Jacob
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Rhode Island