FIDLER use for Pu-239

     Hi, Everybody,
     I'm looking for information concerning use of the FIDLER (Field
     Instrument for the Detection of Low Energy Radiation) for detection of
     Pu-239 soil contamination.  In particular, I'm interested in field
     survey or calibration data that has attempted to correlate FIDLER
     field survey readings with soil Pu-239 activity concentrations
     determined from sampling and radiochemical analysis.  I recognize the
     problems involved with such a correlation (particularly regarding
     photon attenuation with depth of contamination), but would like to
     review whatever information there might be on attempts.  Associated
     with this would be questions of minimum detectable concentrations for
     the FIDLER, stability of instrument response (I've not had direct
     field experience with one, but have heard tales of false positive
     readings - perhaps because old electronics packages were used), and
     any other idiosyncracies associated with FIDLER use.  Has anyone tried
     correlating FIDLER response against any other field survey instrument
     for Pu-239?  Any information would be appreciated.

     nancy m. daugherty
     nmdaugh0@wcc.com