Re: Free Release

>Question:
>What criteria (and/or limits) do people out in the field use for "free
>release" of reactor irradiated materials to persons without a RAM
>license?

>Ninni Jacob
>Radiation Safety Officer
>University of Rhode Island

Reply:

As you're probably aware, when it comes to free release, there is no limit
but only one right answer, "nothing detectable."  For liquids, we're forced
by the NRC to use RETS environmental LLDs as the standard.  For other
materials with potential surface contamination, the frisker is still the
industry standard.  Only exception is the way we are allowed to send
samples to offsite labs as Part 30 exempt byproduct material.  Notice,
however, that is not a free release.  What you probably need to do is to
seek an exemption.

Tosh Ushino
SONGS