Re: Radioisotope Inventory Software

I'm just catching up with my pile of RADSAFE mail so pardon the delay on
responding to "Radioactive Material Inventory Systems."

We've developed an MS-FOXPRO-based radioactive material inventory system
that has all the latest bells and whistles...to satisfy the new regulatory
climate:  network-based, bar-code reader, graphic image read/display of
source photos, leak-test dates, strict privilege control via the superuser,
error checking, validation, verification, dose rates (contact, 1'), isotopic
distribution, decay, approved zone control for using each source, etc. etc...

ALARA folks love the fact that we can thumb through all source
characteristics (dose rate, activity, photograph) on a terminal without
handling them to determine which one we want to use, and what it looks like
before we open the shielded enclosure.

The level of sealed-source control now required within our facility has
required this level of rigor.  A full-time programmer and I have been
working on the system for 4-months now, so if you plan to write your own
using readily available software, be prepared to spend a great deal of time.

The laboratory has supported us in making this code available to others via
a license.

Hope this snapshot gives you an idea of what we're up against.

Jeff Chapman
Applied Radiation Measurements Department
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
chapmanja@ornl.gov
615-574-5729