Re: Using Bar Codes

Here at ORNL and other Oak Ridge facilities (managed by MMES), bar codes are
used for tracking of dosimeters and access control.

We have bar codes on each part of our dosimeter, the front and back housing and
the internal card containing TLD elements.  We keep track of each part of the
complete dosimeter for process monitoring/chain of custody.  The bar codes on
the TLD cards keep track of element specific correction factors, and process
cycle information (anneal, issue, and read info.).  As dosimeters are returned
for processing we scan them in to maintain chain of custody info.  The scan
numbers on one part are capable of relating all the others.  Our readers also
scan the TLD cards as they are read and annealed relating the necessary info.

Bar codes are also provided on our ID badges.

There are many applications, mainly relating to process control/chain of
custody.  I believe they are also used by some of the instrument calibration
people out here for keeping track of where instruments are in the calibration
facility.  They seem to be quite good for keeping track of large numbers of
materials.

I have also heard of a non-HP related system used in hospitals to keep track of
who has served a patient.  When a health care provider visits the patient they
scan their ID in and out of each patients record.

Not as good as a retina scan though....

Rob Gunter
ORNL