Subject: Cross Post:  Radioactivity in Watches? -Reply
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at internet
Date:    4/25/95 4:07 PM

Gosh this is a fun topic.

Some posts have suggested tritium as a possibility. Are we saying
that a low energy gamma probe (or the GMs referred to) are picking up
bremsstrahlung from tritium in a watch? I tried out my LEG probe on a
ca 3 to 6 Ci tritium exit sign to no avail. Same result with a
tritium illuminated compass and a tritium illuminated sight for an
M-16. The LEG (and a GM) had no problem seeing Pm though.

There are circumstances where a GM can pick up H-3 if present in very
high amounts and not encapsulated - but in a watch?. Has anyone
experience to the contrary with known (vs speculated) tritium
sources?

BTW  I've been looking for an antique chamber pot with a
radioluminescent lid, and a related item, a black (uranium) ceramic
commode. These things were really built. If you happen to find one,
let me know. Thanks.

Gotta go

Paul Frame