re:Re: A=Alpha

As long as everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon, I guess I'll have my say
as well:

On Thursday, April 27, 1995  09:36:15 GMT  Peter Fundarek responded to
Richard G. Piccolo:

>The phonetic alphabet (as it is known) is as follows:

>A = Alpha		N = November
>B = Bravo		O = Oscar
>C = Charlie		P = Papa
>D = Delta		Q = Quebec
>E = Echo		R = Romeo
>F = Foxtrot		S = Sierra
>G = Golf		T = Tango
>H = Hotel		U = Uniform
>I = India		V = Victor
>J = Juliet		X = X-ray (how appropriate)
>K = Kilo		Y = Yankee
>L = Lima		Z = Zulu
>M = Mike

Actually, Peter has it almost exactly right, except that he forgot to mention
(as previously noted by several other readers) that W=Whiskey.  And while
we're on the subject, the aviation community expects us to pronounce Q=Quebec
as "Kaybeck" (long "a" pronunciation) or "Kbeck".  The list posted above (if
you include W=Whiskey) is the one accepted in the aviation community and in
military circles.  There is at least one other version, used by law
enforcement types, that is somewhat different.  Here's what I know about it:

A =				N =
B = Boy				O = Owen(?)
C = Carl(?)			P = Paul
D = David			Q =
E = Edward			R = Robert(?)
F = Frank			S =
G = George			T =
H = Henry			U = Uncle(?)
I =				V =
J = 				W = William
K = King			X =
M = Mary			Z = Zebra

Obviously some gaps in my knowledge here.  Additionally, some of the letters
I haven't identified are used in the same way as the pilots/military folks
do, just don't know for sure which ones.

Regards,
Jack Topper
jdt4@pge.com
805 545 4434