Re: Carriage returns.

>>Hi all,

>>It has been awhile since anyone has posted a reminder for people
>>to please use carriage returns before reaching 80 characters per line.
>>Many mailers truncate lines, and some like mine just don't wrap
>>the line making it unreadable without saving the message and
>>using an editor to fix it.  Several people have been sending mail
>>lately that has this problem.  Just a friendly reminder :)

>>Dale

Thanks Dale!!

I have been working with our MAC and WINDOWS people lately and have helped
them come up with a solution so that their e-mail looks right on the
internet.

The problem is that they are in a GUI environment where form and format are
more important than content - yet on the internet content is more important.

The other problem is to explain it in their language since they have no
concept of columns - their editors simply do not count characters per line.

So for what it may be worth - the advice I give them is this .....

When doing e-mail use a 12 point courier font and set your left margin to 0
inches and your right margin to 7 inches.

This ends up making their lines wrap at 70 columns and doesn't waste screen
space with a left margin.

99% of the time this works perfectly and what they send comes through to
almost everybody looking exactly like they sent it!