Re: the term "health physics" -Reply

>It arose in 1942 at the University of Chicago during the Manhattan
>Project in the program they code named the Metallurgical Laboratory.

I cannot resist the impulse to add to the story.  I am certain the story of
the health physicist origin is true.  However, I must point out that
although the Metallurgical Laboratory may have been a code name to some,
true metallurgy was done there.  My father spent his wartime summers there
rubbing elbows with all the notables of that time and place.  Many of them
were doing metallurgy in the pure sense.

Jeff Derge