Dads Seeking Advice

I hope to make this short - because we all know this is a discussion that
should be carried out privately.  But, since two people publicly chastised the
advice-seeking father, I'd like to point out that there may be another side to
this.  His daughter may be the victim of yet another inept guidance counselor
or may have been swayed by the often-touted idea that women in professional
careers will live very stressed lives and will be forced to make terrible
choices between family and career.  When you're 17 and female and your area is
short on professional women role models (if you live in a rural area, for in-
stance), it's going to be very difficult to form a realistic view about what is
involved in pursuing a professional career.  I speak from experience - I grew
up in rural Ohio and was advised by a guidance counselor who thought the only
thing to do with a college education was to become a teacher.  So, maybe you
might give Mr. Eshbaugh a break and consider there might be something else to
his situation.

Replies should be sent to me at dupre@princeton.edu.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University