Children and careers

Dear frustrated parents and children everywhere,

It is never easy raising children and trying to teach/give them the tools
they need to survive and thrive with in life.  However, our much loved
children must ultimately decided for themselves.  All we can do is provide
lots of unconditional love, be there for them, and give information (in a
non-threathening manner).  It's not easy but it is good to do.

As a woman professional, I struggle every day, as does my husband, with the
triple roles of career, family and being a spouse.  It is not easy.  But
then, no matter which career you choose, you still deal with exactly the
same issues.  Children need their parents, and good dependable care during
the day.  Money can help in some rough spots, but it won't solve the root
problems.  Not matter what you choose, there is never enough time.

Yes, money is nice; it provides for the bare necessities.  Come what may, a
good paying job will help you stand on your own two feet.  But, as we all
know,  if you are not doing what you enjoy, then your work can be a living
hell.  In a living hell, you are of no use to your children.  It is better
to do enjoyable work at a lower rate of pay rather than suffer through what
you don't enjoy.

Take your time when you choose a life-partner.  In today's world, you need a
firm commitment and equal participation at home (children, housework and
bills) in order to deal with life's daily struggles, to balance the needs
and demands of work, career and family.

In choosing a career, look at all the options.  Don't specialize to soon.
 It is too early to make a decision at the age of 17, 18 or 19 that will
affect the rest of your life.  Keep as many options open, for as long as you
can.  If you have covered the basics (math, reading, writing/communications,
social sciences and pure sciences), then when you really know what you want
to do for a major chunk of your working life, you'll be able to do so with a
minimum of time - you'll have all the pre-requisites.

Above all, remember that your parents love you.  And parents, your children
(while still struggling to define themselves) love you.

Good luck.  Life is never easy, but oh! what a wonderful adventure it can
be!

Emelie Lamothe