Re: Warning Sign

>>The paper Ron and Ted referred to is "A Brief History of a 20th
>>Century Danger Sign" Heath Physics Vol 36 (May) pp. 565-571. by
>>Stephens and Barrett. Absolutely essential reading. Stephens doesn't
>>mention his role in developing the design but instead seems to give
>>Nelsen Garden the key role. Ron, care to comment? (ps you owe me an
>>octagonal sign).

Having worked with and known Lloyd and Rosie (Stephens and Barrett) for many
years, I know that neither claims credit in development of the symbol - but
serve only as historians documenting the development - since they were
there.

>>The Stephens paper doesn't speculate on what inspired, conciously or
>>unconciously) the Berkeley folk to design the three bladed symbol.
>>Marshall Brucer claimed that the three bladed symbol was first used
>>at a naval base dry dock to warn of spinning propellors.  To me it
>>sure looks like a circular source with alpha, beta and gamma rays
>>coming out. It also has some similarities to the Japanese battle flag
>>(with the rays streaming out from the rising sun), after all, this
>>symbol came along within a couple of years of WWII.

The only thing Lloyd ever mentioned to me about that (beyond what was in the
paper) was that it is properly positioned with the single blade down - since
that makes and unstable configuration.

I'll ask Rosie next time I see her!