Occupational Dose

1.  The following are the definitions in the proposed
DOE-STD-1098-95 (formerly the Radiological Control
Manual, DOE/EH-0256T):

    member(s) of the public:  Any individual or group of
    individuals who is not occupationally exposed to
    radiation or radioactive material.  An individual
    is not a "member of the public" during any period
    in which the individual receives an occupational
    dose [see 10CFR835.2(a)].

    occupational dose or exposure:  An individual's dose
    due to exposure to ionizing radiation (external and
    internal) as a result of that individual's work
    assignment.  Occupational dose does not include
    planned special exposures, exposure received as a
    medical patient, background radiation, or voluntary
    participation in medical research programs [see
    10CFR835.2(a)].

The following definition has been proposed for deletion
from the RadCon Manual:

    visitor:  Person requesting access to Controlled Areas
    who has not been trained to the level required to
    permit unescorted access.

In general, we regard tour groups, visiting dignataries,
etc. to be non-occupational workers, i.e., members of the
general public who are not performing work assignments in
the Controlled Area, which may include one or more
radiological areas.  Consequently, they must be escorted
in radiological areas where the possibility of exceeding
100 mrem/y exists.

I believe this is reasonably compatible with the NRC's
restricted area concept and who does or doesn't need a
given level of 10CFR19 training.

Disclaimer:  This is my quote of the situation and does not
necessaryily represent DOE's or Stanford University's final
positions.
     Michael P. Grissom
     Asst to the Dir (ESH) for Env/RadProt/WasteMan
     Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
     MS-84
     2575 Sand Hill Road
     Menlo Park, CA 94025-7015