...no subject...

Greetings All,

I couldn't help getting my two cents worth in on this issue of public dose,
occupational dose, etc.  As was stated in an earlier posting, by definition,
if you are in a restricted area, you are receiving occupational dose.  The NRC
had issued a draft set of regulations in 1994 that clarified alot of these
issues, but unfortunately they have gotten no farther than the draft status.
IMHO, one of their thorniest issues is trying to regulate materials licensees
and reactor licensees with the same set of regulations (10 CFR 20).  I was
extensively involved with the implementation of the revisions to 10 CFR 20 at
nuclear power plants.  It became readily apparent that materials licensees
(particularly hospitals) and reactor licensees have contradictory issues,
especially in the area definition arena, i.e. controlled areas, restricted
areas, etc.

I believe the NRC would welcome input from licensees regarding this issue.  I
think one solution might simply be to regulate us separately.  While this may
sound like more work I don't think this is the case.  The NRC is already
divided into NMSS and NRR, already has different licenseeing regulations, why
not simply take the next step.

Linda Sewell

DISCLAIMER: Pacific Gas and Electric and Diablo Canyon Power Plant did not
review or approve this message.  This message and the opinions contained
within are the authors' alone.