Re: LN loss from Germanium Detectors

Greetings

I should clarify that our Dewars are large, and weigh 26 kg when empty.
It would be a difficult task to weight them on a regular basis.  They
first must be dismounted (a two person process) from the suspension
system in the counting chamber, then transported to a scale, weighed,
and then remounted (another two person process).  I estimate that this
would take one of my technologists an hour or more, plus they wouldn't
like it!

A pizoelectric sensor underneath the detectors once they are mounted would
be perfect, but too expensive.

Leakage current monitoring is a thought, except that it's really hard to
get at with this detector design.

chamber.  I don't know if this will make any difference as the loss rate
is small.  (yes, we also monitor the oxygen content when subjects are in
the chamber).  Typical loss of the detector-dewar assembly was 65 gm LN
per hour when they were first commissioned late last year.

Regards

| H   H   M       M   L	       Gary H. Kramer  		              |
| H   H   MM     MM   L        Head, Human Monitoring Laboratory      |
| H   H   M M   M M   L	       Canadian National Calibration Reference|
| H   H   M  M M  M   L	       Centre for In-Vivo Monitoring          |
| HHHHH   M   M   M   L	       775 Brookfield Road, Ottawa, Ontario   |
| H   H   M       M   L	       CANADA K1A 1C1			      |
| H   H   M       M   L	       Tel: 613 954 6668;  Fax 613 957 1089   |
| H   H   M       M   LLLLLLL  GKRAMER@HPB.HWC.CA	              |