OCCUPATIONAL DOSE QUESTIONS

Once again, I would advise that if any of the RADSAFERs
have questions about what consitutes an "occupational"
versus a "member of the public" dose, that you call
the NRC regional materials licensing or inspection
sections to get an answer to your questions (if you
are in an Agreement State, contact your radiological
control program office).

Currently, all doses received by all indivdiuals in
restricted areas are occupational doses (per 20.1003).
In determining whether an individual in a controlled
area is to be categorized as an individual who receives
an occupational dose or as a member of the general
public, the more difficult decision concerns
individuals whose assigned duties are not closely
connected to the licensed activity (such as delivery
people, hospital volunteers and sometimes nurses).
Usually, such indivdiuals are conidered members of
the public and the doses they receive are well within
the 100 mrem limit.  However, if the assigned duties
are closely or frequently connected to the licensed
activity, and their doses may exceed or approach the
100 mrem limit, then the doses such individuals
receive are better treated as occupational doses.

All of us (including the regulators) can speculate all
we want, but if you really want to be sure, present the
scenario to your local State or Federal regulators & get
an answer from them.

As for Les Slaback's earlier reference to an NRC
proposed rule on controlled area, revised definition of
occupational dose, etc., my understanding is that it
will be out soon, hopefully this summer.

***These views are not to be construed as the official
NRC position.***  Hope this helps!^5^8^

Cynthia Jones,
Division of Industrial & Medical Nuclear Safety, NRC