Re: MANUAL COMPACTOR

For our RIA lab waste at Oak Knoll, we saw uncompacted/or some
manual "compression" 55 gal drums come to weights on the order
of 180-200 lbs (glass tubes, paper waste, etc. no significant
liquids).  Using an Allied Nuclear compactor with a ram that
delivered around 2000 psi (not sure about the psi delivered--this
was only the second unit for general laboratory use made by that
company which was the same one that built the much larger "super"
compactor used at Hanford), we were able to get glass/paper waste
drums to about 550-600 lbs (about a factor of 3 x compaction).  When
the shift to plastic ware came about, we had to use compession discs
periodically in each drum to prevent spring-back (standard type 17H
drums unfortunately have a limited number of "rib" sites for locking
them in) and got weights on the order of 375-400 pounds (only about
2 x compaction, but with our warehousing limitations and shipping
autorization dead periods, this was still worth all the money spent
on the compactor!).

As usual, these are my recollections and do not necessarily represent
anyone else's opinions or those of any of my former or current
employers.
-----------------------------------

>>Save your money.  We have an ordinary electric powered, >hydraulic drum
>>compactor and it really doesn't do very much. > The best compaction we got
>was about 30%.
>
>At NCI-FCRDC we have a CTI Model 8560, 2 HP , 3000 psi compactor.  We
>typically get 7 - 8 X compaction over the bulk dry waste, as collected
>directly from the labs.
>
>That is making quite a substantial impact on our storage requirements.
>
>Jeff Derge

     Michael P. Grissom
     Asst to the Dir (ESH) for Env/RadProt/WasteMan
     Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
     MS-84
     2575 Sand Hill Road
     Menlo Park, CA 94025-7015