Re: Dose Calculation

Good Marning Sue:

Victor Anderson and Gerry Wescott at UC Davis evaluated an accident
with an X-ray diffraction unit and presented the results tat the
Third Annual J.Newell Stannard Lecture Series at Lake Tahoe (annual
meeting of the Sierra Nevada Chapter of the HPS) several
months ago.  I have forwarded your note on to them.

Victor's telephone number is 916/734-7322 (at the UC Davis Medical
Center in Sacramento) and Gerry's phone number is 916/752-7580 (at the UC Davis
Campus in Davis, CA).
As I recall the beam was relatively low energy (<35 keV, with 8keV)
the energy of major interest.  There were a number of subtleties in
the dose calculations.

Let's see if I can have either one of them, or both, contact you.

George Anastas

> From:          "Sue M. Dupre" <DUPRE%PUCC.bitnet@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Dose Calculation

> Imagine that a person using an x-ray diffractometer has passed a portion of a
> finger through the primary beam. Assume that one is able to determine the ener-
> gy deposited and the volume and mass irradiated (using the depth at which 99.9%
> of the beam has been absorbed).  If the irradiated mass is considerably less
> than 1 gram, is there any reason you wouldn't calculate dose simply by calcula-
> ting the following quantity?:
>
> (Energy deposited, in ergs, divided by the irradiated mass, in grams) divided
> by 1 rad per 100 ergs/gram
>
> I think this may qualify as a Dumb Question, but we did wonder if there were
> subtleties we might have overlooked as we held this discussion.
>
> Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University
> dupre@princeton.edu

George Anastas, M.P.H., P.E., C.H.P., Director
Environmental Health and Safety and
University Radiation Safety Officer
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA  95819-6002
Telephone 916/278-6456
FAX 916/278-5960

"The views expressed herein are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the views
of California State University, Sacramento,
California State University, the State of
California or any of its political subdivisions.
This posting is disclaimed."