Re: External Dose Constants for Beta Emitters

You wrote:

>     Could any radsafenetter out there help me
>     to estimate the external dose-equivalent rate from an
>     unshielded point sources at a distance of 1 meter or 1 foot
>     (or whatever unit) for the following nuclides:  H-3, C-14,
>     P-32, P-33, S-35?  Thanks for your help.
>
>     Vincent N. Finelli, Dir.
>     Environmental Heath & Safety
>     Florida Atlantic University
>     Boca Raton, FL 33431
>     E-mail: VFinelli@acc.fau.edu

Two sources of information may be useful to you:

a.  Schien.  "The Health Physics and Radiological Health Handbook."
pp. 527 - 542.  [Gives tables of beta dose rates, and other useful
data].

b.  Cember.  "Introduction to Health Physics--2nd Edition."  p. 99.
[Gives a "range in air" table.  While not "dose" per se, it does let
one get a feel for relative hazard.]

c.  Atomic Energy of Canada.  "Tables of Beta-Ray Dose Distributions in
Water, Air and Other Media."  Sept, 1982.  [Appears to be source of
tables for (a), however has much more detail.]

If you don't have this handy, please let me know a FAX number, and (as
schedule permits) I will try to get the pertinent data to you.

Hope this helps.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne Division, Rockwell Aerospace