Re: Marie Curie

Bruce and All, esp Ron Kathren,

> Hi All,
>
> Also commenting on Mme. Curie. She died at the age of 66, which I belive
> at that time was a little above the average life expectancy (1934). I
> have no doubt that she died of the effects of radiation, but at what
> dose is hard to say.

<snip>
> I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to estimate her dose? Or if any
> samples of her bone tissue were take and analyzed for radium?

Is there a French "Registry" that might have wondered about her radium burden?
With the massive doses from her radiology years, it seems unlikely anyone
could have more total dose if she had a relatively high radium burden.

She wrote a book after the war referred to as "Radiology in War". Is there an
English version?  Could it have some operator dose info, and/or any more
particulars of her own exposure? (Just knowing equipment exposure rate,
someone would have to have gone through her journals otherwise to
"reconstruct".)

> Regards,
>
> Bruce Busby
> http://www.umich.edu/~bbusby/