Associate Membership in AAHP was Re: Certification

In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950609171558.29324B-100000@beta.tricity.wsu.edu> "Ron L. Kathren" <rkathren@beta.tricity.wsu.edu> writes:
>Date: Fri, 9 Jun 95 19:23:57 -0500
>From: "Ron L. Kathren" <rkathren@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>

>I not only disagree with the idea or need for yet another 'level' of
>certification, but do not understand how the functions of an RSO differ
>from those included under the scope of health physics.  Passing of Part I
>of the CHP exam is less grueling than both parts and confers Associate
>Membership in the Academy.

>Ron Kathren

>On Fri, 9 Jun 1995, Mcelrath Susan S. wrote:

>> It would be great to have a certification somewhere between NRRPT and ABHP.
>> This could be called the CRSP for certified radiation safety professional.
>> This test would be less grueling than the CHP exam but would demonstrate the
>> competency of the individual to be an RSO. It would also be great for those
>> of us who haven't yet worked professionally long enough to take the CHP
>> exam.

As an Associate Member of the American Academy of Health Physics, this must
be my cue to enter this discussion.  Membership is nice inside the HP family,
but it does not provide a clue to outsiders that I have a "minimal" competancy
in health physics above NRRPT and below ABHP.  There is no quick and easy
to recognize abbreviation or title similar to CHP and Certified Health
Physicist.  The ABHP has been asked in the past to create either HPIT or
similar designation and they have declined.  How do I, a lowly Associate Member
know this?  I asked.

and now back to our regularly scheduled debate on <insert topic here>...

Louis

Louis H Iselin                         ISELIN @ ALPHA.NucEng.UFL.EDU
"I'm going to build a geothermal       Here lies a Technophobe,
power plant from a cement truck,          No whimper, no blast.
some plutonium, and a paper plate.     His life's goal accomplished,
Do we have a paper plate, Nanny?"         Zero risk at last.
       -- Baby Gonzo                           -- Mike Van Pelt
<*>               <Live & Learn, Die & Forget It>                <*>