Re: Certification

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 95 19:24:12 -0500
Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
From: "Ron L. Kathren" <rkathren@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Certification

I understand the concept that the CHP exam first portion is 'easier' than
the second, comprehensive examination.  However, the issue seems to me to
be not the level of difficulty, but the appropriateness and application.  The
position of RSO at many, if not most, Research, Academic, and Medical
institutions is that of technical administrator;  One who can make an educated
decision with regard to regulatory compliance, personnel safety, proper
equipment for the task, and correct training curriculum.  The overwhelming
technical nature of the CHP exam leaves out the vital nature of the modern
RSO: One who must administer a Radiation Protection Program.  In many large
programs, the RSO is senior administrator, and employs one or more Health
Physicists who perform technical duties, which the RSO uses to make a
decision for the Program.  The RSO is then the person who bears the
responsibilty for the decision.  In a modern environment which requires an
individual to be flexible in order to feed his family, should not the ABHP
and AAHP be more flexible in covering more diverse areas of certification?
I feel a CHP(Technical)  and CHP(Administrative) certification should be
offered by the professional organization.
John C. White RSO
The University of Texas at Austin OEHS
304 E. 24th St.  SER 202
Austin, TX  78712-1024

I not only disagree with the idea or need for yet another 'level' of
certification, but do not understand how the functions of an RSO differ
from those included under the scope of health physics.  Passing of Part I
of the CHP exam is less grueling than both parts and confers Associate
Membership in the Academy.

Ron Kathren