Re: Thorium gas mantles

Hi, I am new to this net and the mantle discussion peaked my interest as we have
been bemoaning the fact that we can't find radioactive mantles anymore AND the
NRC is requiring us to provide (or advise) check sources on all meters.  Sorry
for the run-on sentence.  So, I immediately called American Wick only to be told
that they no longer carry the soft mantles and only the hard, brittle mantles
have radioactivity.  I asked if the hard mantles carried the same amounts of
radioactivity in them and the salesperson couldn't answer that question.  Just
thought others on the net might be interested in this info.
                                  martha

  In message <9505128029.AA802992570@pc.radian.com>  writes:
>     American Wick Co., Inc. Morris, IL, sells a 4 mantle pack with thorium.
>     The package notes that the mantles are made in Malta.  There is a
>     warning against keeping the mantles near the skin for prolonged
>     periods; but no mention of radioactivity.
>
>     Rick
>

> Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D.          |     "Absolutum obsoletum -
> Radian Corporation, Austin, TX       |  if it works, it's out of date."
> Internet:rick_strickert@radian.com   |            - Stafford Beer
>  ---> "All written IMHO." <---       |

Martha Kupcho
Department of Environmental Health & Safety
University of Minnesota
(612) 625-1664
martha@maroon.tc.umn.edu