Re: Pediatric volunteers

On Wed, 14 Jun 1995, Huda Walter wrote:

> We've recently received a research proposal to review for the radiation
> protection aspects of an IRB proposal. Volunteer children (with an
> identified disease) are to be asked to undergo Nuclear Medicine and CT
> examinations of the head - the estimated values of the effective dose
> equivalents to these volunteers is about 600 mrem (6 mSv). The pilot study
> is an attempt to measure the sensitivity/specificity of diagnostic tests to
> detect this disease; the next step would be use these diagnostic tests in
> children who do not have the disease.
>
> The question that our committee is trying to address is whether such doses
> to "volunteer" children are "acceptable". Is there any guidance available as
> to the acceptability of such doses to children? Anyone have any thoughts or
> comments as to whether this research proposal should be approved from the
> radiation protection point of view, assuming the research protocol is deemed
> to be well designed and worth pursuing?
>
> Walter Huda PhD               Phone (904) 395 0293
> Department of Radiology       FAX   (904) 395 0279
> University of Florida
> Gainesville, FL 32610         Email  hudaw@xray.ufl.edu

0.006 Sv is not a particularly large dose equivalent, but it would seem
from the radiation protection philosophy standpoint that the "volunteers"
would have to receive some benefit from the procedure, such as a more
accurate diagnosis, for this to be acceptable.

There is also the question of whether "informed consent" can be obtained
from a child.  Suggest you see a lawyer who specializes in probable
causation;-)

Regards,

*      Rich Oesterling, CHP     ogr@twinpeak.inel.gov          *
*     "What opinions?  I'm not permitted to have any."         *
*                Get Really Warped - Get Unix                  *