Re: SI units

The thread continues ...?

Dear RADSAFE,

At our plant the transition to SI units was rather smooth:
Our workforce is undergoing full training in radiation protection on a
continuing basis, which results in the full competency of each worker for
his own and his co-worker's safety. A succesfull completion of this training
program is considered a +job requirement+.
Within this training program and then in the practical life, workers
appreciate the fact that they are facing no more combinations of rem(s),
rad(s) and R(s) for neutron, gamma and X-ray external radiations; MPC(s),
DAC(s) and Body Burden(s) for possible internal exposures;
The hazards are directly expressed in microSv(s) or miliSv(s), which they
compare directly to their limits.
The same applies to units such as  dpm(s), cps, Ci(s), etc., for
contanination control or activity.
Having seen the results of the transition to SI units, I believe that the
transformation seemingly difficult is possible, while a question of
practical v. scientific basis  has at the end secondary weight.

Sincerely,
Standard disclaimers apply.
If I had an opinion, it sure wouldn't be mine... or my employer's!
Nazory nemusia v ziadnom pripade vyjadrovat postoj mojho zamestnavatela,
ba niekedy ani moje vlastne.
Miroslav Lieskovský                                     New Brunswick Power
mirolies@nbnet.nb.ca                       Point Lepreau Generating Station
Phone  bus: (506) 659 2220 ext. 7421              Health Physics Department
Fax    bus: (506) 659 2003                             P.O. Box 10, Hwy 790
e-mail res: miroslav@mi.net                  Lepreau, N.B., Canada, E0G 2H0