Testicular irradiation

> The DOE Document "HUMAN RADIATION EXPERIMENTATION The DOE Roadmap to
> the Story and the Records" gives an experiment which some may consider
> justify the NAZI comparison.  OT-14 "Testicular Irradiation of Wash-
> ington State Prison Inmates" p286.  While the report is not new, it
> was referenced by the Markey Commission, it was new to me.

With apologies to Bernie Cohen, here are some notes from his PEP session last
summer on human experiments...

Prisoner Studies

Purpose		The purpose of the x-ray on prisoner testicles projects was to
		 study the effects on reproductive functions.

Dose range 	The localized dose range was 7 to 600 rem to testicles.

Number		Prisoners participating in study in 1963 - 1971...
		* 67 from Oregon
		* 64 from Washington state

Agreements	All prisoners were volunteers.
		All prisoners agreed to have vasectomies.
		Wives of prisoners all agreed to their husbands having
	 	 vasectomies.

Risks 		Testicular cancer was the primary risk.
		No increase of testicular cancer was seen among A-bomb
	 	 survivors.
		< 1 expected testicular cancer

Using prisoners	Practice of using prisoners...
		* Was common during WW II
		* Always got more volunteers than needed
		* Codified by Dept. of HEW, announced in Fed. Register
		* Discontinued in 1970s

J. Ellsworth Weaver
(not a CHP but someone sweet and shy)

Rad. Pro Instructor

Diablo Canyon Power Plant
119/2/247		PO Box 56
Avila Beach, California, USA 93424
Phone: (805) 545-3029	Fax (805) 545-3545
email: JEW1@PGE.COM or JEW1%LRN%NTS@Bangate.pge.com
Public key available on request
<Mandatory disclaimer: This correspondence in no way reflects anything of
Pacific Gas & Electric>