mentoring

Ted,

I few months ago (maybe even 1 or 2 years) the Girl Scouts of America
developed, in conjuntion with the Professional Women in the ANS committee, a
Nuclear Science and Technology Badge.  The badge program covered many
topics, ranging from uses, applications and safeguards to careers.  (It's
been a long time since I looked at the stuff.  Hence, the actual details are
a bit hazy in my memory.)

The badge was tested in North Carolina.  I believe that it is, or will soon
be, a national badge for the girl scouts.  From what I remember, the package
was excellent!

You may want to contact either the Girl Scouts of America (N. Carolina or at
the national level) or the Professional Women in the ANS committee.  I can't
remember the ANS committee woman's name who really pushed for the
development and implementation of the badge.  The program and people
involved are recorded in one of the set of minutes from the Women in the ANS
committee meeting.  You may get the contact person if you call the ANS
office (can't find their number at the moment).  Althernatively, you could
try Nuclear News (708) 352-6611 - I think they operate out of the ANS
office.

Good luck!

P.S.  Cathy Knox's popcorn exercise is a wonderfully fun way of  looking at
the concept of half-lives.  My kids loved eating the results of the
experiment.  And, if you have young and teenaged children in your 4H-type
group, they're always hungry.