SI Units and Mururoa Atol

Goodness me, what a lot of huff over units! Down under we need to know both
systems of measurement wrt radiation because of the voluminous (is that a
real word??) amounts of literature originating in the USA which is almost
excusively in Ci, rads etc... It really isn't that hard.

As you all are probably aware, the French government has recently anounced
that it will resume nuclear testing at Mururoa Atol. This has resulted in a
great deal of "anti-French" sentiment here in Oz. Trade unions are
blackbanning refuelling French Military Aircraft, a French Consulat has been
fire bombed (thankfully no injuries), a truckload of chicken manure has been
dumped outside the French Embassy in Canberra, boycotting French goods is
being promoted by radio stations and politicians, even french champaign has
been symbolically poured into rivers.

It is only a matter of time until someone asks me what risks to us here in
Brisbane exist due to the testing and quite frankly, having never had
anything to do with nuclear testing, I am not able to give them an informed
answer.

Can anyone help me with a bit of info please?

Regards

                        Alex Zapantis
                        Radiation Safety Officer
                        Queensland University of Technology