exempt/generally licensed quantities

a company in the greater Boston area, a suggestion was made to look into
distributing it as an exempt quantity.  In Sept 1990 I was informed by
NRC inspectors that I needed to be specifically licensed to distribute
exempt/generally licensed quantities (I had requests from researchers to
use material at locations that were not specifically listed on our broad
scope license and thought that the generally licensed quantity route was
the way to go).  We still use this method to accommodate some "rural"
research activities, but all the rad material must be ordered from the
vendor in generally licensed quantity increments.  From my interactions
with the NRC I would not ship any material to anyone "unlicensed" using
the generally licensed quantity route.

Sharron Daly
sdaly@csd.uwm.edu
Radiation Safety Officer
UW-Milwaukee

My opinions only, standard disclaimers ...