Re(2): Film Badge/TLD Response

Ninni,

You may want to perform some blind testing of their performance.

We here at Oak Ridge use a series of tests to monitor the performance of our
readers.  In addition to the usual QC stuff the vendor is surely performing, we
have 4 distribution centers who each submit blind test dosimeters.  The blind
test inculdes both blanks and irradiated dosimeters.  In addition, we perform
mock DOELAP performance tests each year.

If you decide to provide blind test dosimeters, you will have to get a volunteer
(see ICRP 23 for a description) to wear them in a radiation field (just
kidding), or (in keeping with the principles of ALARA) have the dosimeters
irradiated on a standard phantom using the irradiation sources and procedures of
NVLAP.  Any reputable irradiation calibration facility should be able to provide
irradiations using the proper protocols.

One other possibility is to compare the dosimeter response from your irradiation
setup to one using standard methods.

We use an onsite irradiation facility to perform our Blind Audit irradiations,
and our calibration shots for the readers.  Fortunately our local facility is
equipped to provide the irradiations using the DOELAP irradiation protocols
(DOE/EH-0027, based on ANSI N13.11 (Phantom size, distance from source, C_x,
etc.)).  Even still, we annually compare the dosimeter response from this
facility to that of another external facility we use for the mock DOELAP test.

I would certainly suggest sending Blanks for blind testing.

Rob Gunter
ORNL