Re: Release Concentrations

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995 12:15:22 -0400 Albert Lee Vest wrote:

> I hope they continue to *clearly* communicate this
intended use for "generic
> MRC's".  Some of the regulatory guides I've been exposed
to (which contain
> numbers *suggested* for use) have such statements in the
fine print, where
> nobody seems to notice them!  The suggested numbers then
become, de facto,
> regulatory limits.

These are going to become regulatory limits as soon as the
consultation period for the document is complete and all
comments have been reviewed.

> The MPC's you presented were only for short-lived, "delay
and decay"
> nuclides.  Are there also MPC's for EVERY nuclide one
might use - just as
> there are ALI's for every imaginable nuclide in Appendix B
of USNRC's 10 CFR
> Part 20?

Yes, there are MRC values for most isotopes used in
biomedical research as well as some for uranium and other
such animals.  MRC values have been calculated for each
isotope in each of three release scenarios - gaseous
discharge to the atmosphere, liquid effluent to the sanitary
sewer and solid waste to incinerator and landfill.

The document also describes the technique used to derive the
values but does not give too much in the way of specific
values used (e.g. Dose Conversion Factors)

A copy of this document may be had by contact the Atomic
Energy Control Board, Office of Public Information, Ottawa,
Ontario 1-800-668-5284.  Ask for  a copy of C-123

Regards,
Peter J. Fundarek
University of Toronto
email:  p.fundarek@utoronto.ca