Re: Underwater Radiation Detector

Kirk,

We had a related need about a year ago during a characterization survey.  We
built our own probe, and I think it might meet your requirements.

We used a modified Jordan Radector.  It has a "probe on a rope" configuration.
We took the extended probe and put it in a PVC pipe housing, and then calibrated
the lot.  I know that it took a 25' column of water with no problem; 40' probably
would work.  Big advantage is that the Radector comes close to covering your dose
range, PVC piping is cheap and easy to use, and the instrument is readily
available and relative inexpensive.  1800' feet of cable is tough, but could be
dealt with through pre-amplification, I would imagine.

Radector's have a reputation for being tough to calibrate, but we found that was
a problem in the oddball, obsolete mercury batteries it uses, so our instrument
guru even worked out that problem.

If you are interested and want more details, please call me at (213)-461-8935 and
I'll get you with the instrument tech who put all this together.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Division