Dose limits for Volunteers

At the recent Annual Meeting of the HPS, Toohey and Sparks
presented a paper on "Proposed regulations for radioactive drugs
used in research" (abstract TAM-C6). In this paper they propose the
following limits in adults: 50 mSv committed effective dose equivalent,
500 mSv committed organ dose equivalent, 150 mSv to the lens of the
eye and 500 mSv to the skin from all administrations within 1 year.
Paediatric limits should be 10% of these values.

In Australia, the limits for medical research for the committed
effective dose equivalent per year are currently 5 mSv in adults,
0.5 mSv in children and 0.1 mSv for babies and infants. These limits
have been in place since 1984 and are contained in the National
Health and Medical Research Council publication "Administration of
Ionizing Radiation to Human Subjects in Medical Research". Any research
protocols which comply with these limits can be approved by a
hospital's Radiation Safety Committee and by the hospital's Ethics
Committee. Any protocols which exceed these limits must be referred to
the appropriate State radiation control body for approval. In practice
I have found that 95% of research protocols do comply with these limits
(or can be readily modified to comply). I therefore find the proposed
limits for the USA as extraordinarily high. I certainly do not find the
ICRP 62 limits restrictive, as suggested by Toohey and Sparks in their
abstract. (I do agree with Toohey and Sparks that the concept of "whole
body dose" be abandoned for diagnostic nuclear medicine).

The limits in Australia will soon be revised to a committed effective
dose of 10 mSv over 5 years - limiting any one individual to
participation in one or two studies over a 5 year period.

I would be very interested to discover the limits used in other
countries.
Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine
St. George Hospital