Re: Linear Model

          I'm a bit confused.  I'd have to go back and look at the
          literature to be sure, but it was my recollection that the
          Japanese survivor data was used to determine that we didn't know
          enough about low doses to be sure, but that it was linear at
          higher doses, so we would use that at low doses.  I think many
          of us forget that the no-threshold concept is not a theory, but
          merely an administrative measure taken many years ago to cover a
          LACK of science.  It has been caught up by the public, press,
          and lawmakers as being part of the science, which the scientists
          involved never asserted it to be.

          On that basis, I would have to dispute the issue that the linear
          model and the "no threshold" corrollary thereto are BOTH
          developed from the Japanese survivor data.  Also, the two
          demographic groups (Cohen's subjects and the Japanese), while
          having in common the fact that they encompass small geographic
          regions, are sufficiently different to draw no conclusion
          regarding relative "ecological fallacy" between the two.  The
          epidemiology is based on vastly different exposures.  While it
          may in fact be true regarding the Japanese data, as it has been
          asserted regarding Cohen's data, I do not believe there has been
          sufficient correlation between the two to draw any such
          conclusion.

          Please correct me if I'm wrong (preferably unflamed).

          V/R
          George R. Cicotte
          Research Engineer
          HEALTH PROTECTION DEPARTMENT