Re: ?Ecological Fallacy

> You misrepresent the conclusion. The proof of the cause at the
individual
> level "proves" the validity of ecological epi studies, with the caveat that
> _positive_ effects must show some causal connection.
>
> Of course, this does not exist in, e.g., the uranium miners who can NOT be
> shown to have contracted lung cancer from radon exposure.
>
> Whereas _negative_ or null effects in ecological studies CAN refute a proposed
> causal connection, ie, IF radon actually caused lung cancer, then the German
> waterworks maintenance workers that work in 100,000s pCi/L concentrations MUST
> have a lung cancer effect (they do not, so lung cancer is shown NOT to cause
> cancer at high doses). The same is true for workers and residents in radon
> spas and surrounding areas and other high-background areas (including some
> data with individual radiation monitoring and health effects tracking).

You miss the point.  The ecologic study does not adequately control
against confounding variables.  It turned out in the case of goiter
that iodine was the cause.  But without the rigorous epi study, we
would not know this.  It could have been that areas low in iodine are
also low in some other element and that this other element was the
cause.  In this case the suggestion from the ecologic study turned out
to be valid, but this can only be known in retrospect.

I don't see why negative results in ecologic studies are any more
valid than positive results.  For example, in the case of the radon
study it could be that persons with low radon exposure have a higher
incidence of other cancers that has metastasized to the lung.  This
may be due to some other environmental agent or family history, or
some other cause that has not yet been identified.  I don't know
that this is true, but the lack of adequate controls prevents ruling
it out.

As far as my other comments go, I was addressing the glib dismissal
of the systematic errors reported by Dr. Strom et al.  It appears to
me that the criticisms of the ecologic method is not an attempt to
prove or disprove radiation risk coefficients.  It is a criticism of
the method itself regardless of the health problem to which it is
applied.  The responses on radsafe seem to be that the criticism are
"potential" errors that "do not apply" in this study.  These do not
seriously address the logic behind the criticisms.  Other responses
have been impassioned defenses of the _results_ of the study, not
analysis of the methods.  This is not science.

If the epidimological community has arrived at a consensus that
ecologic studies are systematically flawed regardless of the agent
under study, we health physicists should take heed.  If the
epidimologists said these methods were valid for any agebt other than
radiation, then I would be sceptical.  Then it might be reasonable to
suspect their motives.  But it is my understanding that this approach
is unreliable regardless of the suspected cause/effect linkage.

By the way, If a study has a "potential" error, the study is
unreliable!  If I use an uncalibrated ion chamber to measure an
exposure rate, the lack of calibration is only a "potential" error,
but the results are not reliable.  It is not incumbent on the critic
to check my meter to see if there are in fact calibration errors.  I
doubt that Dr. Feynman meant that we should follow the data but
ignore systematic errors.

Also, please note that I have no personal agenda that is advanced by
radiophobia.  My life would be much better if the public had a better
perspective on radiation risk.  (For example, I was called in at 3:30
last night because a little scintillation fluid had leaked on a lab
floor.)  Nor have I concluded that biological response _must_ follow a
linear, no threshold model.  But I am not willing to compromise my
intellectual integrity to advance a view just because it would make
my life easier.  This whole thread would be much better without
impuning motives to those those with whom we disagree.

David Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu