Re: ?Ecological Fallacy

The choice of iodine and goiter as an example of ecological fallacy  is
especially interesting since not only do we actually have a great deal of
individual data on iodine exposure and size of the thyroid gland, we also
have abundant evidence that treatment with iodine will reduce the size of
the gland and addition of iodized salt in an area will prevent onset of
goiter.
	Citing opinions on radon exposures one study at a time is not a
very effective way to approximate the truth of relationships.  Epidemiology
must deal with the perennial problem of incomplete sets of relevant
variables, which in the case of studies of lung cancer must include smoking
histories and the exposures of populations many years ago.  Since it has
been shown that Radon daughters (the active agents in lung cancer) adhere to
glass surfaces and past radon exposures can be estimated by counts of glass
panes or mirrors, why don't some of the Health Physicists try to fill the gap
in our knowledge of previous exposures using these methods?
	John R. Goldsmith, M.D. Professor of Epidemiology