Re: exposure based on protocol

>I would recommend that you review the personal exposure histories of your
>Principal investiagtors.  If their protocols remain relatively constant, and
>they follow these protocols, then the potential exposure received from the use
>of P-32 should remain constant  Rarely did the PIs received exposure greater
>than 10 percent of limits in my 4 years at Naval Medical Research Institute.
>mike coogen sends

I see problems using this approach at a university setting.  The high
turnover rate within most research labs is such that basing future
monitoring on past trends could be quite dangerous, regardless of the
protocol.  We instruct all new rad. lab employees on how to handle
radioisotopes, however, a small percentage tends to forget/ignore what they
have been taught (which is one of the reasons for compliance inspections).
Higher exposures ARE rare, but they do occur.
Another reason for excess dosimetry has already been pointed out: employee
peace of mind.  Recently, an employee was diagnosed as having cancer.
Understandably he and everyone in his department wanted to see their
exposure histories.  Who could say what would have happened if we had not
had those pages and pages of zero exposures. Reducing dosimetry merely to
reduce cost is one tightrope we would rather not walk. Besides at
universities, dosimetry is clearly a cost associated with the research, so
having the researcher pick up this cost makes it a non-issue for the RSO.
Alan Enns
Radiation Safety Assistant,
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
Canada.
aenns@unixg.ubc.ca