linear, no threshold theory in the low

Richard Smith writes:

>           I went to a presentation last year at the Harvard School of
>           Public Health.  Dr. John B. Little gave a presentation on
>           what you are requesting.  He can be reached at:
>
>                          John B. Little, M.D.
>                          Department of Cancer Biology, Director
>                          Kresge Center for Environmental Health
>                          Harvard School of Public Health
>                          665 Huntington Ave.
>                          Boston, MA  02115
>                          617/432-1184

My recollection of a Jack Little presentation was the linear response in the
dose range of interest (mostly above 100 rad) and that he was careful to avoid
implying that the linear model applied below about 10 rad (and that data in
the 10 rad range in his plots was usually null or negative compared to zero
dose).

And, of course, these were mostly in vitro cell cultures data which is now
clearly distinct from the cellular biology and molecular mechanics of
whole-organism responses which engage cell and DNA repair and stimulation
through cellular communication, apoptosis, suppressor proteins, etc that are
not found in most in vitro cell culture results.

Regards, Jim