Elastomeric Coatings for Contamination Control (U)

Greetings, RadSafers!

I was wondering if any of you had experience using a product known as
Polyshield SS-100 (tm), made by Specialty Products, Inc.  The technical
info. I have on it states that it is "a state of the art, high performance
sprayed plural component polyurea elastomer.  This system is based on
amine-terminated polyether resins, amine chain extenders and isocyanates.
It provides a flexible extremely tough monolithic membrance with excellent
water and chemical resistance."

Our Engineering group is obviously going to perform a technical evaluation
as to the use of this elastomer, but in addition to this evaluation, I
wanted to seek out personal experience.  The specific application would be
to coat concrete surfaces that have become contaminated with Pu-239
dissolved in acid (nitric, sulfamic, others).  The acid tends to leach out
of the concrete and attack sealant paint, causing it to flake off.  It is
hoped that the Polyshield SS-100 will correct this problem.

The tech. info. indicates that this material will probably work well in our
application, but there is no reference in the tech. info. with regards to
use on radioactive contaminated surfaces.  Have any of you used, or seen
this stuff used?

Wester
wes.mouser@srs.gov
Decon & Containment Engineer
I don't speak for DOE, WSRC, or your neighbor.