Replies to items from Aug.22

	Reply to Loesch on Paul Frame message:
The experiments you refer to are examples of "Adaptive response". There
are dozens of results of the type you mention and they are well accepted.
They are reviewed in an Annex to the 1994 UNSCEAR Report.
Other evidence that the simple defense of linear-no threshold offered by
Paul Frame is far too simple: it is well established that low level
radiation stimulates the immune response; it changes the timing in the
cell cycle, extending the time in the cycle available for repair; and the
time delay between irradiation and development of cancer increases as
dose decreases so natural death has a better chance of occuring before
the cancer develops from low level radiation.

	Reply to Wade Patterson on his response to criticisms of my paper:
The problems with ecological studies cited in texts on epidemiology,
known as the "ecological fallacy", do not apply in testing a linear, no
threshold theory (references available on request). In fact, the formula
I use to test the theory is derived from risks to individuals from the
individual doses they receive by rigorous mathematics. In a linear, no
threshold theory, distribution of doses among recipients is not
relative-- that is why person-rem determines the number of deaths.

	Reply to Atkinson:
Doses to individuals among the Japanese A-bomb survivors were obviously
not measured. To a large extent, they did what you said would make that
an ecological study-- assumed that the dose was a function of their
distance from the epicenter. They made some correction for shielding of
individuals from the surroundings that they recalled, but I don't think
that was a very important correction in most cases.