Re: ?Bioassay--More Comments

Some additional considerations on when to perform bioassays might include:

1.      Separating bioassays into (a) those to confirm radiation safety
procedures are OK--called confirmatory bioassays in ANSI standards, and (b)
those to measure real doses on individuals who meet the NRC criteria for
"required to be monitored" (intakes likely of >10% of ALI)--called routine
bioassays in ANSI standards.

2.      Establishing periods between bioassays in "a" above for
administrative convenience (e.g., perhaps quarterly for adults and monthly
for declared pregnant women), and in "b" above on dosimetry considerations
(LLD, effective half-life, ALI, etc.).

3.      Using additional factors to adjust the quantities handled before
bioassays are needed based on how likely the material will become airborne.
For example, based loosely on NUREG 1400, "Air Sampling in the Workplace",
For materials:
        x1 for volatile or gaseous forms (I-125 NaI, H-3 borohydrides, etc.)
        x10 for nucleotides (for H-3, C-14 & I-125), and nonvolatile powders
        x100 for other nonvolatile liquids
        x1,000 for unencapsulated nonvolatile solids
For experimental procedures:
        x0.1 for dispersibility (cutting, grinding, heating, chemical reactions)
For containment:
        x0.1 for work on open bench top
        x1 for work in fume hood (perhaps the minimum standard for
operations likely to produce airborne activity)
        x10 for work in glove box

For universities, this would tend to reduce the need for bioassays to a few
bad actors (H-3 borohydrides & water in larger quantities, and I-125 NaI
used for iodinations).

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP
RSO, Univ. of California, Irvine   92717-2725
Voice: (714) 824-6904, Fax: (714) 824-8539
E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu